Monday, August 25, 2008

OUT GAY SWIMMER WINS OLYMPIC GOLD!

Openly Gay Australian Swimmer Matthew Mitcham had a near-perfect dive to win Olympic gold on Saturday in front of a crowd that included his partner Lachlan Fletcher, he made history. Mitcham will go down as the most significant out male Olympic athlete ever.

In a Post-Dive Interview:

“I want to thank absolutely everyone who helped; my partner Lachlan and my mom [Vivienne] here to support me and watch me get gold, because it was so important to have those two people here with me,” Mitcham said in a post-dive interview. “I didn’t think I had a chance to get the gold and to actually get that was mind-blowing. I was crying thinking I had silver and to get gold, I was a blubbering mess.” [SOURCE]

Good for him. Proud to say there is an openly gay athlete in the Olympics. To be gay is one thing but to show the world you're out and proud is another. Matthew is an inspiration for all athletes, in/out of the closet.

No comments: